Sunday, November 29, 2009

Appearances Can Be Deceiving


Appearances Can Be Deceiving
Originally uploaded by 365 Things

What:  Detergent Container
Origin:  My front hall closet, before that a gigantic suburban Kmart (if I remember correctly)
How long kept:  2003
Why kept: I've kept this container filled with water since the NYC blackout.  After the WTC attacks, all kinds of "home preparedness" instructions were circulated, instructing us to be able to "shelter in place" for a period (72 hours?)

After the 2003 blackout, I realized that if we were without power for long enough, those of us in high rise buildings wouldn't have water...so I filled this empty container with water, thinking it could be used to wash dishes, flush toilet, etc.  In other words, It Might Be Useful.

But I guess if it hasn't been useful since 2003, chances are I won't need it.  Thankfully.  Is moving this darn thing around and planning for the worst really worth it?

Destination: Recycling. (I flushed the soapy water.) Buh-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment