Saturday, November 28, 2009

Textiles Comprise 6% of NYC's waste

What: Worn out yoga top (and assorted worn out sheets, clothing and even a couple of dead, but clean, cleaning rags).
Origin: Century 21, for the top.
How long/last used:  I got the top probably 7 years ago.   It has no "support" left at all and has thus not been fit to wear out in public;  I have worn it recently at home.
Why kept: Nostalgia, OOSOOM, various.
Destination: Textile recycling booth at the Union Square Greenmarket.

Bonus: I took vegetable clippings to be composted, too.
Another Bonus: The round trip to the Greenmarket took about 30 minutes, and I was back home by 9 am having coffee.  I got to drink in the beauty and diversity of the Greenmarket and people there to buy tasty farm goods.   And I totally dodged the crowds that will gather there later today to buy more stuff. 

Confession: About 25% of the bag's content was worn out bedding.  Earlier this year, I made a pretty reusable gift wrap from a piece of dyed and painted bedsheet...I definitely was holding onto the thought that I'd make some or all of that sheeting into holiday gift wrap.


Hmmm. Maybe not. I can be happy that the stuff will be recycled by someone else.

(And here's a bonus shot of the Greenmarket this morning about 8:30!   And a nice clip about textile recycling, from Council on the Environment of New York City.)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know there was a place to recycle textiles. I might need to start a bag in the closet to bring along to NY or mail to A. (Just what you need! :p)

    My kids outgrow stuff all the time but it would be pretty rude to donate all those jeans with the ripped up knees so I've been tossing 'em!

    ReplyDelete