Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sunk Cost: A Whole New Meaning

What: Pricey bra.
Origin: Desire, no -- need for help addressing gravity.
How long kept: Probably too long.
Usage: Yep, this one was in frequent rotation. Unlike -- ahem -- others, I maintain a very small collection.
Why kept: Seemed perfectly good. See confession.
Destination: Textile recycling.

Confession: I thought this one was Perfectly Good. Until I saw a very illuminating, if unflattering, photo of myself...taken by "S." Thank you "S," for not letting me walk around looking like that any more!

Confession, part deux: It looks so Perfectly Good (and was sooo pricey) that it really wouldn't have otherwise crossed my mind to let it go.

Sunk cost is a term used in economics to indicate that you've already invested in something, and you can't get your investment back.   (Point is to not let your emotion over the cost interfere with future decisions.)  In my life, these sunk costs are part of what create attachment.
  • I bought that book, I'd better put it on my bookshelf even though I hated it.
  • That dress that was stunning on me in 1995 cost an arm and a leg, surely it will come back into fashion.
  • That lamp belonged to Grandma, it's a "valuable antique"...and it's a Family Heirloom!  I'd better keep it forever.
Confession, cont: Textile recycling, definitely. I did give a brand new bra to a local charity earlier in the year. (Someone Might Need It!) A regularly worn one, I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment