Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mulder, It's Me


Mulder, It's Me
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What:  Extremely long, old but not vintage in a good way raincoat.
Origin:   Styling corporate look of the late 90s.
Usage:  Into the early 00s.
How long kept:   Since 1998?  99?
Why kept:   Outerwear:  It Might Be Useful.   I Might Need It.
Destination:  Housing Works.

Confession:  I was watching some of my DVDs from Season One of X-Files.  I was a huge fan, and happen to know that Gillian Anderson (Scully) was actually pregnant for part of the season:  they had her wear a gigantic raincoat to hide this.   I thought of my raincoat.

Tried it on.   Other than the fact that it swept my ankles (a little bit Goth), the shoulders were silly big (a little bit ridiculous).  I did get compliments on this coat into the early 00s, but in today's mirror I couldn't see it. 

There was no upside to thinking that I might have it tailored, it would be too involved.  And I have another raincoat I can wear for corporate life.

Confession, part deux:  That is a photo of the coat hanging on the back of my bathroom door.   The coat was so long that I couldn't fit the whole thing in.   I thought that the photo turned out, and can't take another:  it's gone!

It looks like an extraterrestrial's raincoat.

No comments:

Post a Comment