Friday, July 9, 2010

Chaos May Be Thriving...A Bit Less

What:  Business Book.
Origin:   Desire to be of the times in my field.
How long kept:  Uh, when was this written?   Mid-90s?
Usage/Why kept:   I'm pretty sure that I at least skimmed it...in the mid-90s, and retained it because It Might Be Useful.   I might need to refer to it again, so I Might Need It. 
Destination:  Housing Works.

Confession:   For about 4 minutes, I thought It Might Be Worth Something, and did check online to see about re-selling this book, a tactic that has worked out surprisingly in one or two other cases.   Resale value of this book starts in the $1.99 range.   If I ever do need it, buying it back will be cheaper than paying rent on it, dusting it, and rearranging it when I choose to manage my bookshelves.

Learning Moment:   Business books are rarely classics.   When you go back to something that pre-dates wide adoption of the internet, so much of the advice is, um, ancient history.   Books on entrepreneurship that pre-date the serious problems faced by small business owners with availability and cost of health care now seem oh-so-sweet, innocent...and ultimately useless.

While I don't want to own these books forever any more, I do still need to read many of them.   I've been attempting the library, getting some to listen to on my iPod via Audible.com.   Next up, the Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment