Monday, July 5, 2010

I'm Ending This, Now


I'm Ending This, Now
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What: Stored value card.
Origin: See confession.
How long kept: 5-6 months.
Why kept: Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
Usage: Until today, nada.
Destination: The money on the card, I spent. The card itself, snip snip, clunk: into the trash.

Confession: I heart Lands' End, and have been shopping there since a weird trend hit my circle during college days...we all bought rugby shirts and pants. (I went to kind of a eggheady undergraduate institution...our fashion trends wouldn't have exactly landed us in sororities: good thing we didn't have any.) We even made a couple of field trips over to the by now probably long gone shop on Elston Avenue in Chicago, which was on a weird little triangular block of land.

On the plus side, the baby pink rugby pants I adored probably looked better than sweats, while being equally comfortable. On the minus side, could they have possibly been flattering?

But I digress.

Now that I've established my cred as a longtime Lands' End booster, I received this card -- value $6.54 -- after exchanging a pricey Christmas gift for the same item in a different color.

It had gone on sale, so in their eyes, I was due this $6.54. Integrity: A+.

Execution, B, solid B.

A+ would have been to notice that I buy regularly, and hold the value in my account so that it would be automatically applied to a future purchase.   At least for a period of time, okay?

I used it this morning -- it was stuck in a file it didn't belong in, and I found it quite recently.   And about 2 weeks after ordering a baby gift for my newborn niece. Sigh.

In case I haven't stated my position on this recently: Stored Value Cards Are Evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment