Sunday, July 25, 2010

Coffee Break

What:  Coffee carafe, photo'd without its stand, which holds a votive candle to keep the coffee warm, chafing dish style.   (Chafing dish!)
Origin:  Long forgotten tag-sale or thrift shop, and love of mid-century design.
How long kept/usage:   Easily 25 years.   I'm not sure that I ever used it for its intended purpose.   It may have been out on display in some long distant past -- and I mean mid 80s.
Why kept:   Because it's Cool/Vintage.   And failing that, It Might Be Worth Something.   Finally, it was on a top shelf in my kitchen cabinets; I need to stand on a ladder or on the counter to reach what's up there, so Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
Destination:  Housing Works, in yet another shopping bag from the still dwindling stash.  Along with a very nice logo-tshirt from a former employer.   (Like the logo mug from the same employer, the t-shirt generated some Nostalgia, and not the happy kind.)

Confession:   Yes, I checked Ebay.   These were going for around $25.   Not worth the bother of figuring out how to ship it so that it will arrive in one piece.

Bonus:   When I dropped this at Housing Works, I was able to visit some of my donations, up for sale.   It is really, really nice to see, directly, that the stuff I'm taking to HW is actually providing fuel for good works.

1 comment:

  1. I have one very similar, and I have to say it comes in handy up here when I tote a beverage to a party (like fresh mint tea or lemonade) because of the stopper top. No spills in the car! (Tho I made a big faux pas and put it in the dishwasher, and the copper lost some of its sheen. Grrr).
    So--mine is still a keeper. And its day job is to store iced coffee. It earns its keep!

    ReplyDelete