Saturday, October 2, 2010

Chips Ahoy


Chips Ahoy
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What:  4 chocolate chips.   (And some chip dust.)
Origin:  Chocolate craving.
How long kept:   Since April, 2010
Why kept:   Aargh.   And Out Of Sight, Out of Mind.
Destination:  I ate them.

Confession:  I had these in a repurposed glass almond butter jar, labeled.  Hence the precise knowledge of how long I've hung onto these.  I've been known to snack on a handful of tasty chocolate chips.

(A nice childhood memory:  eating chocolate chips while reading Nancy Drew on these amazing platform beds our Dad built for my sister "K" and me.   Two twin beds, end to end, separated by a shelving unit that went all the way to the ceiling.  Then they were curtained off, Mom made the curtains.   It was a great place to read and eat chocolate chips.  (Which I probably wasn't allowed to have in my room.   Sorry, Mom.  But I digress.)

WTH?   Why would I have saved 4 chips, rather than just eating them?   Why haven't craved chocolate since then, and dispatched them...rather than paying rent on a jarful of mostly air?   Hmmm.

Comment:   And this post is iconic of the fridge purge I've decided to do at the beginning of each month.   So, yesterday's post from "S" is a funny synchronicity.   Or a fuzzy one.

There's a couple of jars of stuff I should have tossed before my end-of-summer vacation.   (The jar of salsa I opened on July 9?  It's not Perfectly Good.)  Sigh.

5 comments:

  1. You let salsa sit around? It lasts 3 days max with me. Probably because salsa and chips are many a summer's eve dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I was probably doubling up on guacamole and salsa. I ate all the guac, ran out of chips before the salsa was gone...and then it got moved to the nether region at the back of the fridge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like dark chocolate yummmmm. I might have to get some of my nestle semi-sweets out :-) I always thought K's and your bedroom was HUGE when I was a kid. I thought that was totally cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were Ghiradelli bittersweet. I ate them with 3 figs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad that we don't have any photos, I don't think, of those beds. Back in the day, why would you use the money for film and development on furniture.

    Dad made a lot of cool things...most got broken down and made into other things! He also made these cool desks, which were kind of like Murphy beds. Each desk was essentially a thin, rectangular box that hung on the wall. The upper parts of the box were shelves. The lower part contained a work surface that swung out for deskal use, or could be closed flat when not in use. They were painted, if I remember correctly, violent shades of pink and purple. ("K" was purple, I was pink.) One of these might still be hanging in Dad's garage, filled with jars of nails? maybe not any more.

    ReplyDelete