Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Things I Got Done. Mostly.

What:   Contents of several file folders.
Origin:  See confession.
Usage:  Yes.  Until I stopped looking in the folders.
How long kept:   Some up to almost 3 years, I'm guessing.   Others much more recent.
Why kept:   Out of Sight, Out of Mind.   And files can be like storage boxes.   And our eight well loved and regular readers all know one of my more controversial views:  Storage Boxes Are Evil.
Destination:   Shredder, and then recycling.

Confession:  I'm a believer in, and regular but infrequent adherent to, David Allen's Getting Things Done.  

What this means is that I have a very well organized set of files.   Yay.    What it doesn't mean is that I plow through all of my projects with perfect efficiency, consistently achieving personal and professional pinnacles one after the other, each higher the last.

What it does mean that I recommit to this maddening but promising way of looking at my world, from time to time.   This is such a time.  

One interesting thing I keep on learning and re-learning:  writing down an objective a hugely empowering step along the way to achieving a goal.   These files contained various to-do items, of various level of importance and impact on the world.   Lots were done, despite the fact that my last GTD seizure was probably early this year.  Others completely irrelevant, and probably were when I put them into the box.

I've got to write down some better stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment