Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bookcase Study

What:  Fairly recent novel.
Origin:   Book club.
Usage:  Yes, I read it.
How long kept:   I think about 2 years.
Why kept:  Inertia...it has been Out of Sight, Out of Mind on one of my bookshelves, having survived several bookshelf purges.
Destination:  Housing Works.

Confession:   One of the good things about being in a book club is the motivation to read books I wouldn't ordinarily read.   We're often reading new books in my book group, so means buying the hardcover.   If you don't like the book, you're stuck with it.   (This is another item in the case study for the Kindle.)   I didn't even like this book, which I found kind of depressing.   Why did I even keep it?   Aargh.

Digression:   We're currently reading Jonathan Franzen's Freedom.   It kind of makes me wish that I had been one of the people in the group who actually finished War and Peace, which another guy and I advocated a couple of years ago, after yet another book we read harked back to this classic.   Prior to the book club attempt, I had taken a class in college on War and Peace -- an entire 10 week trimester just to read this book -- but could only remember that Pierre was a bear, metaphorically speaking.   Re-reading the first half of War and Peace did at least bring the story to mind as I read Freedom, before Franzen actually referred to it.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment