Monday, September 6, 2010

Laboring No More


Laboring No More
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What: Retired bras.
Origin: Desire to use modern engineering to defy gravity.
How long kept/usage: Various, see confession.
Why kept: I Might Need Them. They Might Be Useful. And Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
Destination: Mostly textile recycling.

Confession: In the great closet purge, I emptied out each drawer. In a corner of my lingerie drawer, I found a tiny pile of suspiciously organic looking shreds, each not much wider than a hair and maybe one millimeter long.

Eew.

After totally grossing out, and cleaning out the drawer and trying to forget...I decided to try on all of the bras to see which ones to delete from my collection. Well, the 30 year old strapless bra shed more of these suspicious little shreds.  The weird shreddy stuff was the elastic on this bra, a bra I haven't worn since the late 80s.   Heaven only knows when it last fit.

Aargh.

Confession, part deux: At least one of these never fit, I may have worn it once. It was embarrassingly expensive. I gave that one to Housing Works. Is that wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment