Friday, September 3, 2010

It's Repellent!

What:  Manly insect repellent.  (More power!)
Origin:  Most likely my brother's canoe trip in a part of the country where the biting insects are so populous at certain times of year that people wear net suits (almost a beekeeper look) just to canoe and camp.   I'm talking science fiction stuff, like that episode of the X-Files that took place at a remote logging camp in the Northerly climes.  My now-sis-in-law played Scully on the canoe trip, it wasn't all men all the time.
How long kept:  Years.   Several.  (2004?)
Why kept:  It Might Be Useful.   And Out of Sight, Out of Mind...these were in a cabinet that doesn't get accessed so often.
Usage:   Never, by me.   I'm more of an earthy citronella kind of girl.
Destination:   My uncle, who probably only wishes that we could give him a repellent that's either 100% DEET, if not full on DDT.
Confession:  There were several other types of insect repellent.   Citronella:  expired, and tossed.  (Bottle recycled.)  Several varieties of Off and it's non-earthy relatives:  palmed off given to other family members.

Photo snagged from the Wikipedia page for one of my favorite X-Files episodes, Darkness Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment