Saturday, May 15, 2010

Booking!

What:  Borrowed Books.
Origin:  Travel reading.
How long kept/Usage:   Longest?  Fellowship of the Rings, since probably 1999.   Others date to early this year.  For usage, see confession.
Why kept:  Inertia.   And like other books I've surrounded myself with, they kind of became invisible, so Out Of Sight, Out of Mind. 
Destination:  Return to Lender, via USPS.

Confession:  I kept Fellowship of the Rings because I might read it, and thus It Might Be Useful.   True or false:  Tolkien is mostly for adolescent and post-adolescent boys?   I finally choked down The Hobbit in the late 90s, but never managed any of the others.   (And I haven't seen Lord of the Rings movies based on a personal rule:  I refuse to see films that last more than 120 minutes.)

Confession part deux:   These are going back to Mom.   I feel that since they already belong to her, our ordinary rule excluding items given to Mom does not apply:   I'm not generating new stuff in Mom's life, I'm merely putting something back on the right shelf.

The shelf that is not in my house.

Digression:   My first job after college was working in a residential drug and alcohol treatment center for adolescents.   The kids, who were great and by now hopefully all living good, sober middle-aged* lives, used "to book" as a verb.   It meant, decamping from treatment without authorization or having completed treatment.   I never got that.  From time to time, I hear, "Gotta book," when someone (usually a fictional character) is talking about leaving rapidly.   Hmmm.

*Question:   Is Gen-Y middle aged yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment