Sunday, March 28, 2010

E-Wasting Away On A Rainy Sunday

What:   More old technology and unidentifiable electronic jetsam.
Origin:  Desire to be state of the art, back in the day.
Usage/How Long Kept:   I think that the discman was last used in 1997.   I might have tried one of the several sets of headphones with my iPod a couple of years ago, before I got used to the iPod headphones.
Why kept:   Mostly, Out of Sight, Out of Mind.   Some element of It Might be Useful.   See Confession.
Destination:  E-waste recycling, courtesy of the Lower East Side Ecology Center!  (Click here to learn more or donate.)

Confession:  I kept a couple of small things that I'll be saying "aaargh" about.   A portable scanner.   (Why, why?)   An old Palm III that I imagine might be a fun nephew thing.   My HP 12C -- Nostalgia.   And really, It's Perfectly Good.

Confession, cont:  The Discman has a bit of Nostalgia, both good and bad -- I got it as a gift the year I went to Hong Kong and China, and I used it on several happy adventures to Asia before the iPod was invented.   I also lent it to someone for a transatlantic trip -- someone who is best no longer in my life.  All of this usage was in the last century.


There's still 50 minutes left in this event. Otherwise, you can check out Tek-Serve on April 10.   (Or, if you live on Roosevelt Island, an event on April 3.

If you don't make it in time today, you can stop in at Barnes and Noble, and get ready for Earth Day by buying more stuff!

Aargh.

No comments:

Post a Comment