Friday, March 19, 2010

Tossing My Cookie (Sheet)


Tossing My Cookie (Sheet)
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What: A never-satisfactory cookie sheet.
Usage: Occasional, for baking. Frequent, if moving it around and dusting/cleaning it count as usage.
How Long Kept: Since the mid-90s. Last used? Maybe the gingerbread cookie holiday incident of 2006.
Why kept: It's Perfectly Good. I Might Need It. It Might Be Useful (for crafting, if not baking.)
Destination: Recycling (question mark?) I put it into the recycling section of our trash collection area. NYC does recycle cans...odds are this gets trashed.

Confession: I bought this at Williams Sonoma or other fancy kitchenware store, seduced by the layer of air sandwiched between two sheets of metal (which would allow for even baking, or so they said) and its non-stick top. Well, early on, maybe the first time I used it, it bowed while heating, kind of curling at the edges. It would then settle down and flatten out during the baking process.  Huh? And then, it was never actually non-stick. You might see some stuff stuck to it that I couldn't remove, no matter what technology I used.

And of course, we now don't like flakes of non-stick surface in with our food, regardless of what kind of saucy note they might bring to an oatmeal raisin cookie.

It also doesn't fit in any of my cabinets. (Even the newly airy and spacious cabinet where I store my other baking pans.)  So, it was Manhattan storage -- in the oven. (And the Rubbermaid container/colander imbroglio of 2007 cast a pall on that option.) Which meant that I then kept it standing up at the edge of my rangetop, where it functioned quite well in it's most recent function:  gathering dust.

Enough. Buh-bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment