Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Though Perfectly Good, It Was Never The Right Fit

What: Perfectly Good jacket.
Origin: Desire to look professional, but not too stiff, at my last corporate gig.
Usage: Routinely, 2005 - 2007. Since then, not at all. Unless you count trying it on this morning and thinking, "This Is Perfectly Good" as usage.
Why kept: It's Perfectly Good. (As Noted.)   Also, Out of Sight, Out of Mind.   And a little bit of I Might Need It.
Destination: Housing Works, in one of the remaining tote bags.

Confession: The jacket actually fit fine, it was the job that didn't. That said, every time I look at it, I think of the job. It must go!

Confession (cont): My desire to look professional declined somewhat over time...you wouldn't believe what people wore to work -- and it was a financial company. That last, hot summer, we knew we were being laid off. I remember wearing sparkly flip flops to work -- even with a "business casual" skirt sweater combo, it was still crossing the line.

Confession, part trois: The other thing that's got to go: a Talbot's boiled wool jacket, powder blue, that I think made me look matronly. Sticky, because it was kind of sweatery, but expensive. I looked on ebay, and if I want $16.99 for my trouble, I can probably sell it. Sigh.

Update 3/11:  I took the jacket, too.   I tried it on again and can't believe I ever bought it.  (In my defense, it was the perfect thing to wear in the environment I was in...before my definition of "business casual" devolved to bejewelled flip flops, that is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment