Friday, March 19, 2010

From "S": Barking up the wrong memory tree...

"This was a replica of a nut bowl from my youth (the nutcracker and picks had earlier been relieved from duty). Every Christmas we would put it out and my grandfather (Pappaw) and I would sit together at the table and crack nuts and eat them. Extricating a Brazil nut without mangling it with the pick was an art form I never quite mastered. Hazelnuts were particularly exotic, as we never had them at any other time. Certainly not in our coffee! Memories made me buy this duplicate, but after putting it out several holidays in a row, I realize the nuts just don't get eaten. I could only do it with my Pappaw, I guess. So--nuts to the squirrels, bowl to Goodwill."

Ah, this would be sticky nostalgia for me!

2 comments:

  1. If it had been the original, no way. Not sure what ever happened to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, that would have made it ultra-sticky for me.

    ReplyDelete