Sunday, June 6, 2010

Did These Ever Fit?


Did These Ever Fit?
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What: Rather nice jacket, and cashmere pleated skirt.
Origin: Spinning of the sartorial wheel of fortune, I believe that both came from outlet stores.
How long kept: Aargh. The skirt, I believe since the mid-80s. The jacket, since the late 90s.
Why kept: They're classic! Thus They Might Be Useful.
Destination: Housing Works.

Confession: I tried the jacket on this morning, and it was enormous on me. E-nor-mous. I can't imagine that it ever fit, but I do remember wearing it for work in the very early days when I learned that women could wear pants to work. (Those days came late to the financial services world.) Anyone remember David Byrne in that Big Jacket? That's what I looked like right before kissing it good-bye.

The skirt, well it's a gorgeous fabric, and it is classic: for someone who is built like a reed. Those of the hourglass figure need not wear vertical pleats. Ever. And in fact, I think that I only wore this skirt once. Sticky.

1 comment:

  1. I had several jackets like that--all from the men's dept. of the thrift shop. We called them "boyfriend jackets" and I still have the tuxedo version. I knew you and David Byrne had something in common--tossing might keep you from "Burnin' down the house!"

    ReplyDelete