Friday, June 25, 2010

Just In Case


Just In Case
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What: Unfortunate manicure kit case.
Origin: I'm pretty sure that this was one of many swag-type items sent to me by the Leggs-Hanes Catalogue.
How long kept: Uh, that would have been in the late 80s or early 90s.
Why kept: See confession.
Destination: Textile recycling. (They take shoes, so this should qualify. I think it is actually leather.)

Confession: Anyone remember the Leggs-Hanes catalogue? (Does it still exist?) For the busy young exec who couldn't ever shop, the ability to order 60 pairs of stockings at once, priceless. (Of course, who wears stockings now?) They used to send all kinds of unwanted customer appreciation gifts, and I found this one in my bathroom linen cabinet, nearly empty.

This one was Out of Sight, Out of Mind. Way out.

Related musing: Pauvre Pierre Cardin. His oh-so-stylish clothes led to licensing agreements that put his name on anything. This cheesy case actually held some nice quality manicure tools, some of which I'm still using. I stuck the only remaining inhabitant of this case, a nail file, into my medicine cabinet. No doubt a few months down the road, I'll blog it, too.

Update:   Yes, it still exists.   However, I don't know if you still get the unsolicited swag.

No comments:

Post a Comment