Friday, February 5, 2010

I Am (No Longer) Iron (Wo)Man

What: The handle of a late, beloved cast iron pan.
Origin: I dropped the beautifully seasoned pan on the floor, and the handle snapped off, quite neatly.
Usage: On and off, as a sort of paperweight. Mostly, I moved it around.
Why kept: Partly Out of Sight Out of Mind. Mostly, Aaaargh. Sticky.
How Long Kept: I'm guessing since 1999.
Destination: Recycling.

Confession: When this pan broke, I reached out to a classmate who runs a family-owned iron works to see if he could recommend someone who could fix it. He counseled me against repair, saying that the metal would always have a fault, and be a potential safety issue. So I recycled the pan, but not the handle. It Might Be Useful.

This is by far one of the odder things I haven't wanted to release.

1 comment: