Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sock It To Someone Else


Sock It To Someone Else
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What: Hiking socks.
Origin: Alpine aspirations.
Usage: Not in this century.
How long kept: Since probably 1999.
Why kept: Mostly Out of Sight, Out of Mind. But also, I Might Need Them.
Destination: A man who asked me for money in Penn Station.

Confession: I found 2 more pair of long unworn socks stored in my backpack when I was packing for the aforementioned ice climbing class. Aaargh!  (And, in a way, Storage Boxes Are Evil...I do store a bunch of my outdoor gear in my pack.)

I've been carrying them around with me for a while, waiting for someone who wants them. The other pair will meet a similar fate.

Confession, cont: These were refused last week by a too-well-dressed, hipstery-looking guy in his 20s who asked me for "50 cents so that I can get a sandwich," outside of Whole Foods.   Something wasn't hanging together in that transaction (having nothing to do with being miffed about the kid not wanting my socks...)

Addendum:  This post is similar to another, but the "stuff" came from a different source.   I won't post this again, but will note that (other than the case above) the clearly homeless men I've asked about this have enthusiastically and gratefully accepted socks.  

Over the years my friends and I have had many conversations about how to "help" homeless people without harming.   Money might be spent on drugs.   Food, if sugary, might contribute to tooth decay.   Signs in the subway tell us to call 311, but clearly that's not working out so well.   And I think it's better to see these people, and affirm them in some non-judgemental way.   I'm thinking that I'm going to start to always keep socks on hand for such purposes.  (Not bloggable, just a digression.)

No comments:

Post a Comment