Monday, February 22, 2010

Weekend Report: Blogging for "J"

This past weekend, I was visiting another major northeastern city.   (OK, not as major as NYC, but what is?)

It was a road trip with "J" (recipient of Outliers) to see another old friend, "AO".

After we arrived on Friday, J mentioned the stuff she was hauling in her trunk, and "AO" suggested that we visit the Goodwill on Saturday.

Goodwill won't take plastic toys because of concerns about lead (which hopefully makes us all think before we buy that next plastic toy), but they did take a couple of gigantic stuffed toys, clothing and a cache of shoes that "J"'s daughter had outgrown and which will absolutely be useful.

("J" and I each bought a sweater at Goodwill.   Sigh.)

We had long discussions about the influence of the Depression and World War II on our parents, which informs my false frugality that leads me to want to save absolutely everything.

("AO" has the world's neatest closets and a beautifully organized home.   I might have to interview her to find out how grew such amazing habits, which she developed long before our college days...)

Confession:  I bullied "J" into letting the Ikea bag go.   Sorry, "J".   I don't even feel a frisson of guilt.

Bonus:   While we were at Goodwill, we got a photo from "M" of her Freecycle Free4All!   We're all connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment