Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'll Take Potpourri For $20, Alex

What: Various odds and ends. A takeout container that, until laundry this morning, contained some laundry detergent. An almost empty hand cream. About 3 tablespoons of mung beans. (Organic. Sprouted.)
How long kept: Also various. All circa some time in 2009.   Maybe late 2008 for the hand cream?
Why kept: They Might Be Useful. And, Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
Destination: Takeout container, recycling, via Preserve Brands pickup at the grocery store for #5 plastic (which NYC does not recycle). Hand cream, if I can squeeze any more out of there, done.  Then, trash. And mung beans, I bought some more yesterday and plan to make some kichuri tonight.

Confession: Here's what I'm noticing. Things that I do over and over again.  Like putting an empty advil container back in the medicine chest.  Like buying a new hand cream before the old one is gone (maybe because I'm traveling, so a valid purchase) and then leaving the old one there, um, forever.

And Aaargh, why the heck didn't I just cook the extra few tablespoons of mung beans the last time I made kichuri?

Bonus: I'm also noticing how much emptier my cabinets, medicine chest and closet shelves are becoming. Things seem to be less sticky, overall.

Noticing this stuff for the blog actually is leading me to notice other stuff, and dispatch it with less fanfare and drama.

(Or is it comedy?)

No comments:

Post a Comment