Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Better Title Might be in Order For Our 365th Post

Thus, I have changed the post's original title, which was the polite and very mindful statement, "Bite Me, Time Warner."  


What:   My ancient and apparently obsolete cable box, along with my 16 year relationship with Time Warner Cable.
Origin:   Desire to participate in popular culture.
Last used:   Last week.
How long kept:   I've had this cable box since some time in the late 90s.   (I think it is a replacement of the original box, which I got in 1994.)   In its useless state, about a week.
Why kept:  Because TV is the opiate of the masses.   Thus, I had no choice.   Or, maybe Mindless Aquiescence should be a new category.  (And for those of you outside of the 5 boros, I should elaborate -- cable is required to get a basic signal for network here in the Big Apple.   You can get connectivity to "free" TV for around $30 a month.)
Destination:   Back to its rightful owner.

Bonus:  I'm going completely TV free.   For those who haven't been following at home, last week my TV service stopped working.  The TV and cable box worked fine.   But the only thing that played was the "Interactive Guide Channel".

When I called the cable company to see if something was wrong, the CSR told me that the week before, management had announced that all owners of the old boxes would have their service turned off.   Their goal was to "prompt phone calls from customers to initiate an upgrade".

No notice was mailed to me.   Nothing in my last bill.   I live in a huge building, and TWC is here almost every day.   No note slipped under my door.   Nobody sent flowers.

On top of it, they told me that they couldn't turn of the billing until today, a full week after they shut off my service.   Today is the first day that they could "schedule" a technician to visit me to reclaim the obsolete hardware.   (Never fear, I'll be writing a letter that will get that $7.50 back.   It's the principle.)

Upgrade this, Time Warner!

Confession:   I took this downstairs late yesterday and left it with the doorman.

Bonus, addendum:  I got to dust behind my entertainment unit when I disconnected the box.   All of the dust bunnies I was hanging onto there, gone.   And the box was really hot, it sure was using power to stay warm.   Maybe my electric bill will go down!

1 comment:

  1. oops. i clicked great job 2X. but you probably know that. i clicked to see if it showed who else clicked. i am confusing it with facebook. anyhow--it deserved a double click from me!

    ReplyDelete