Thursday, April 29, 2010

Time Travel


Time Travel
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What: Inspired by "S", two guidebooks.
Origin: Nerdy love of homework. Why visit some place I haven't studied?
Last used/how long kept: San Francisco, maybe 1993? (When I worked at a financial institution, I spoke at a client conference, can't remember what year that was...) Hawaii, 1999, visited for a lovely wedding.
Why kept: Maybe a friend would visit, and They Might Be Useful. Or maybe I'd go back, and I Might Need Them. And, Nostalgia.
Destination: Recycling. I doubt that many of the insights for travelers of the last century are relevant and valid to anyone today.

Confession: I saved my China guidebook. Some of my nephews are Chinese-American, and if they turn out to be the kind of nerds I was as a kid, this is the kind of "antique" book they might like to look at. Aargh.

Confession, part deux: I've been a little under the weather. In addition to living in the past with my guidebooks, this was yesterday's post.

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I guess technically I could check "I have that" because I only touched the tip of the guidebook iceberg with New Orleans! "Nerdy love of homework"--that's me too! And I really think doing it online pales in comparison--it just isn't the same as hunkering down in a B&N aisle and planning that trip. Then buying one book out of a stack of dozens :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about wanting a book.

    One silly P.S. I found a list of stuff to take with me on a post it in one of the books...

    ReplyDelete