Saturday, April 10, 2010

Getting Rid Of My Baggage


Getting Rid Of My Baggage
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
Don't worry, I won't overshare!

What: Luggage of the last century.
Origin: My parents got this set for me in the late 1970s so that I'd look smart when travelling.
Last Used: Late 80s or early 90s.
Why kept: They were on the top shelf of my closet, so Out Of Sight Out Of Mind.   Also, some Nostalgia.
Destination: Housing Works

Confession: I loved these! (Sticky.) Thanks, Mom and Dad. They were made for a different type of travel in a different time. This luggage was meant for long trips, where you tipped people who helped you with your bags. (Like a late century version of Ginger Rogers in *The Gay Divorcee*, which my dad and I quote from time to time: "Oh, Porter! Oh, Porter?!" Though she had an awesome steamer trunk.) Even walking over to Housing Works with these, I found them heavy and difficult to carry, and they were empty.

Confession, Part Deux: I had stuff in these suitcases: I couldn't even believe some of it. Storage Boxes Are Evil. Stay tuned, I'll be blogging some of this stuff.

And bonus:   I have to pat myself on the back, slightly:  yesterday I was at an alumni function.   I was offered a tote bag, which I declined not once, but twice -- after I dodged the bag at registration, the event organizer said, "Oh, did you get a tote bag?"   I still have 4 bags from my b-school, two of which I'll be keeping...the other two must go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment