Saturday, April 3, 2010

Tasty, but Inedible Sandwich

Ack, this was yesterday's post! See confession.

What: Half of an unused "quilt sandwich." (What? Read on.)
Origin: Hand quilting class.
Usage/How long kept: Not at all, since that one night class, which I took maybe a year or so ago?
Why kept: I might practice the stitches, and thus It Might Be Useful. And Out of Sight, Out of Mind; it was in my "stash."
Destination: I used it in a project for a mixed media art class.

Confession: A quilt sandwich is a layer of quilt batting (the soft stuff that makes a quilt puffy) between two layers of fabric. I like to take classes at a wonderful quilt shop here in NYC, and accumulate stuff from some of the one day technique classes. I'm endeavoring to use things up, or give them away if I don't use them. But it does build up.

Yesterday, we had an assignment to create an "artist trading card" to swap in class. So this one's a twofer. I made the cards from a good chunk of the quilt sandwich, and some "paper cloth,"  (which is a way to prepare paper so that you can sew through it without ripping it) made from some previously blogged items.  (I trimmed off the hanging threads before we swapped.)



(And after class, I went to see a Broadway show, which I rarely do...and then stayed out too late having a glass of wine with a friend. I got home way to late to post!)

Confession, part deux: It was actually two glasses of wine.

Bonus:   In class, I found a home for another item.   Stay tuned.

Bonus, part deux:   I've met the nicest people in these classes!   Here's a photo of our swap:

2 comments:

  1. Puh-leeze share with me how to make paper cloth! Is it a trade secret? I am getting back into crafty-mode. (& what b'way play did you see?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw Hair. It was tremendous fun. (I was pretty surprised how little of the music I actually knew.) At the end, many tourists go up onto the stage and sing and dance with the enthusiastic cast. Really nice.

    And I'll find and send an article about the paper cloth. Basically it involves coating a piece of plain fabric with diluted white glue (diluted to about the consistency of whole milk, maybe a bit heavier), and then layering torn paper onto it (coating more glue solution)...and covering the layered paper with torn tissue paper (and more glue solution). Dry overnight or with a heat gun.

    ReplyDelete