Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rainy Sunday Caper(s)


Rainy Sunday Caper(s)
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
What: The better part of a small jar of capers.
Origin: I believe it must have been a favorite recipe for olive tapenade.
How long kept: Aargh, I don't know how this one slipped through my last refrigerator purge, but it was marked 4/2008. (See confession.)
Why kept: I don't know.   Mostly Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
Destination: Compost.

Confession: I never think that there's anything all that old in my refrigerator. After all, I hardly cook. Further, I've purged since the beginning of this project. (And another time before that only a few months earlier, when I got a new refrigerator.) And everything that goes into the fridge gets marked with a date -- I keep a Sharpie on my refrigerator door to reinforce this habit.  Hmmm.

My fear:   is it possible that I might have reasoned that capers last forever, and that They Were Perfectly Good?  More acceptable possibility, that the label on the jar was dark in color, and I misread the date.

Confession, continued: I also found several other expired items. December 2009 (a few tablespoons of soy sauce), and March 2010 (apricot jam).

Bonus: I took the opportunity to wipe down all of the shelves and get rid of some other borderline items that I realized did not fall into the Might Be Useful category.

Confession, P.S.: I kept the jam.

I'm sensing an almond butter and apricot jam sandwich in my near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment