Monday, April 12, 2010

I'll Take "Textile Potpourri" for $100

What: Probably 15 pounds of textile baggage
Origin: Various
Usage: Some, frequent and recent. Some, not at all. Others come from my baggage. (See confession.)
Why kept: Out of Sight, Out of Mind. Nostalgia. Other things I either was using, but then they wore out, Broken. And one It Might Be Useful.
Destination: Textile Recycling at Union Square Greenmarket.

Confession: Below, in the collection bin, you can see the blue and white dhurrie rug that came out of my baggage.  Storage Boxes Are Evil.  My mom and I bought this for $15 at an estate sale in 1984 when we were furnishing my first apartment.   That's a nice memory; thanks Mom!  (Nostalgia.)  It moved to NYC with me, but I don't know that I ever used it here. Maybe in the late 80s, but certainly not in the 90s.

Confession (cont): Also included, some fleece material scraps "M" gave to me to possibly use as stuffing for a sock animal. It wasn't happening; it had to go. I have other stuffing.

One pajama item was in use until quite recently, but the waistband was starting to wear through. It was sad to let this one go, I remember buying it at the J Crew at the World Trade Center. (Most people don't realize that there was, in effect, a mall on the first floors of the World Trade Center; people in the neighborhood bought lots of household items, books and clothing there.  My locksmith, I'll have to ask someone I know who used to work at the Port Authority if he knows where they are today.)

Sticky. And gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment