Saturday, December 19, 2009

Dates With Destiny


Dates With Destiny
Originally uploaded by 365 Things

What: 2 half packages of organic dates
Origin: From time to time, I love a date and almond shake.
How long kept: Hmmm. The two packages were of different vintage, but I didn't label them. I'd imagine that the newer of the 2 had been in my cabinet (in a storage box) since at least 2007.
Why Kept: Out of Sight Out of Mind/Storage Boxes are Evil.
Destination: Community Compost Bin at Union Square Market.

Confession: Clearly, I bought the second package because the first one was OOSOM.

Confession (continued): I'm pretty sure that the dried dates could have been safely reconstituted. I'm alternately regretful (they might have been Perfectly Good) and triumphant that I let them go.

Update, got a comment from"S", aka miro-gal, which I accidentally rejected...sorry about that!
"Oh, my...perfectly good dates. Clearly you don't want to peek in my freezer--green chili powder from 1994's trip to New Mexico. Paprika from my first trip to Budapest, 1997. I sniffed today--both made me almost sneeze--but I am sure in 3 months I'll have them posted. Just wasnt feeling very spicy today...I was attacking kitchen surfaces with ammonia. And took a pic or 2 to post, maybe later tonite. (Why do you try and make 2007 sound like such a long time ago? :)"

3 comments:

  1. Correction--I was cleaning surfaces with VINEGAR, not ammonia! I am sure that would have me banned from the site, or at the very least, caused you to accidentally delete my comment (and there you go, blaming Merc Retro!) I do plead guilty to owning ammonia--for the really nasty stuff like mold on the plastic hair-catcher from the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, you can't really get kicked off, although I might have choked when mentally invoking the ammonia fumes!

    I own bleach and know how to use it; sadly, it seems to be the only thing that works on the mold in my drain. (Tried an earthy enzymatic cleaner, which helps to keep it at bay...but every so often, I've got to bring out the serious stuff.)

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW,I neglected to mention that when the dates went, so did a bottle of Tabasco sauce. Sharpie Date (huh, kind of like StarDate): 1/98. Aaaargh.

    ReplyDelete