Wednesday, December 2, 2009

May the Spirit of Christmas Past, Remain Past

What: Ornaments I've had since the early 80s.
Origin: Gift from a childhood friend when I moved into my first apartment.
Why kept: Out of sight, out of mind; and It was a Gift from...
Destination: Housing Works Thrift Store, with a small bag of other donations.

Confession: It has been many years since I've been in touch with the person who gave these to me; it's unlikely that this will change. Mostly we grew apart. Seeing these ornaments actually makes me feel nostalgic, but not in an overly happy way.

Per Wikipedia, the word nostalgia "is a learned formation of a Greek compound, consisting of νόστος, nóstos, "returning home", a Homeric word, and άλγος, álgos, "pain" or "ache".

Yeah, like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment