Sunday, December 13, 2009

Someone Else's Nostalgia


Someone Else's Nostalgia
Originally uploaded by 365 Things

It's not my stuff! Not exactly.

Found when I dropped off the shoes yesterday: a box of photos for sale at the Housing Works Thrift store. It looks like family photos of someone about my age. Weddings, family trips, the Macy's parade (photos of balloons, Superman from an office building maybe 20 stories up...) even a few truly old photos.

How did this box get to Housing Works? Left behind after a break-up or hasty move? Estrangement? Did someone die?

A couple of blurry, faded, off center photos of Disney characters on parade look exactly like photos I took when I was 9 or 10. (Yes, I have them in a box here somewhere.)

This looks enough like my own stuff that it steeled my resolve to do something during the course of this project involving my old photos, a scanner and a shredder.

(And, sigh, I bought 8 photos. Shots from a road trip...small black and white photos with white borders. No people -- cars, city scenes, and hotel swimming pools that seemed notable in August of '66, I'm guessing to one of the boys visible in the box of photos.  I thought they might be useful.)

No comments:

Post a Comment