Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cartridge in a Pear Tree

What:   Several (not this many) spent HP inkjet cartridges
Source:   Dastardly business model whereby HP sells you a really inexpensive printer and turns you into a more or less gushing stream of cash flows as you buy, buy, buy inkjet ink.
How long kept:   Oldest was probably 6 months old, most recent maybe a month old.
Why kept:   They Can Be Recycled, and therefore, They Might Be Useful.   They used to come with mailers, which were easy and efficient.   For the user.   Now, if I understand correctly, you're kind of locked in to taking them to drop-off sites.   They are so small that they were Out of Sight, Out of Mind for quite a while.

Confession:   I'm having a bumpy re-entry.  Forgot to take a photo of my cartridge return, so I snagged this one from HP's website.

(Don't sue me, HP, for using your photo!   Even though I'm annoyed by being inconvenienced, I understand why you can't handle millions of tiny little cartridge packages.   It really is more sustainable for Staples to send you gigantor boxes of cartridges; you're really trying to be green!)

Bonus:   Staples gives you a $3 rebate (more or less, I have to say I'm fuzzy on the details) for every cartridge you bring in to them.

Double Bonus:   On the same trip, I dropped some plastic bags off at Staples to be recycled.

No comments:

Post a Comment