Saturday, January 16, 2010

E-Waste And My Granola Morning

What: 2 CPUs, software, keyboards, mice, and a range of cordage...as well as 2 phones that no longer worked (broken, unfixable) and a few other bits of electronic flotsam.
Origin: The computers were from a business that closed in 2004. (Ack.) Other stuff, general household stuff.
Last Used:  At least a couple of years for real usage...but I did pull some data off of one of the computers almost a year ago.
Why Kept: Inertia and Out of Sight, Out of Mind, as well as I Might Need Them.
Destination: Lower East Side Ecology Center's E-Waste Recycling at TekServe on 23rd Street.   The volunteers were incredibly helpful with moving the stuff out of the cab.   Thanks!

Confession: One of the phones was also an answering machine, and there was a funny message on it that I wanted "M" to hear. (I figured out how to record it using one of my phone apps, and can email it.  Nostalgia.)
Bonus: A friend helped me load this stuff into a cab ($11), and was curious about composting and textile recycling.  We took a field trip over to the Union Square Greenmarket, where I dropped a pair of incredibly unflattering jeans (Might Need Them, if hell were to freeze over) and a recently replaced mattress pad.

We then had breakfast at City Bakery.  All in all, a crunchy start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment