Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hey, Hey Paula


Hey, Hey Paula
Originally uploaded by 365 Things
Please make the Sunday Freecycle pickup you requested -- no Freecycle Drama, please!

The (Putatively) Successful Freecycle Post:

"OFFER:Sewing Machine or Paperweight, You Be The Judge

White Brand Sewing Machine, Model 222, Serial number 88117492, a gift from Mom in the 80s: broken, possibly fixable.

Used periodically in the 90s and seldom in the 00s, I started to use it a bit recently. I was adjusting the (manual) tension knob when the entire knob assembly came off.

Mechanical skills are not my long suit, and -- try as I might -- I couldn't figure out how to correctly replace the elements (all of which came off quite slowly in my hand – none are missing).

I found a blog post that said that the machine itself was worthless, except as a paperweight. In terms of how much paper it will hold down, weight is probably 10-12 pounds (I used to carry it around town with me on the train in a canvas bag).

If you're game to see if it's fixable, I'd love for you to have it, along with its manual. White was apparently somehow related to Husquavarna – they gave me no joy when I requested a copy of the schematic drawing of the tension knob, snippily telling me that it was too old.

I bought a new machine. It was not a Husquavarna. Snap.

I've got probably all of the stuff that came with it. Different presser feet, darning plate so that you can free motion stitch, bobbin cases, etc. And the pieces of the tension knob are in a baby food jar.

I can put it all in a paper shopping bag, or you can take it in another (bulkier) sewing machine box.

It was a good little machine, if it can be fixed, it would be good for a beginner. I don't guarantee it can be fixed...."

You don't have to pick it up until Sunday, but it's going downstairs to the doorman today. It's not coming back into my apartment!  (Update:   Paula, you rock.   You came out on what was arguably one of the worst weather days of the last year to pick up this sewing machine.   I hope you can fix it.)

How long kept: About 6 weeks (broken)...before that it was not clutter!
Why kept: I popped it into the box for my new machine back before the holidays, intending to Freecyle it at some point.   So, reasons are a little bit of many: Broken, Maybe I can Fix it, and Out of Sight Out of Mind/Storage Boxes are Evil. But I also had bigger fish to fry.)

Bonus:   Thanks, Mom.   I loved this machine.
Bonus, part deux:  I'm getting rid of the sewing machine box and styrofoam packing materials from my new machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment