Sunday, January 24, 2010

Gotta Stop Swapping

What:  Cute, but not for me, sweater/jacket.
Origin:  Clothing swap party my girlfriends have 2-3 times a year.
How long kept:  About a year.
Why kept:   When I got it home and washed it, I noticed that one of the seams was coming undone.   I set it aside to fix it in a basket that stores items to be mended...deep in the closet.  (Broken, I Might Fix It; Out of Sight, Out Of Mind.   There's also an Aargh, see confession.)
Usage:  Not at all.  Unless you count washing and mending it as "usage" -- I did fix it.   Last evening.
Destination:   To the girlfriend who really wanted it at the swap.

Confession:  My girlfriends call these events "Bitch & Swaps".   People bring clothes, really an embarrassing abundance of items.   (And sometimes there are 30 people there.)

The supposed ground rules:   you get to select whatever you want.   If two women want the same thing, after the catfight of course, we're supposed to each try it on.   Everyone will then vote on who looks better in it; the victor takes the item.   (And the clothes that aren't claimed at the end of the night are taken to Housing Works.)

The reality:   everyone who attends is so nice that when two people want the same thing, the conversation is more like:
Woman One: "Oh, you take it.
Woman Two: "No, you take it."
Woman One: "No, I didn't really want it, I was just thinking about it."
Woman Two: "But it looks cuter on you!"
and so on...
I sometimes use the swaps as a clothing lab, testing out clothes I wouldn't buy.   If I don't like them, they get donated -- or come back to the next swap.   This was one such item.  (And the friend who really wanted it has asked me about it several times during the intervening year.   "Have you worn it yet?"  so it was actually stressing me out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment