Monday, January 4, 2010

Cute, But Toxic

What:  Fantastic plastic non-diluting iceballs.
Origin:   Mom.
Usage:  Maybe never.  (Sorry, Mom.)
How long kept:  This is horrifying, but it's possible that these moved to NYC with me in 1987, and have lived in a succession of freezers since then.   I don't know when mom gave them to me.
Why kept:   A Gift From Mom?   Out of Sight Out of Mind, for sure.   Certainly in this century, I don't recall imagining circumstances where they might be used.
Destination:   NYC landfill.

Confession:   These little gems are plastic balls filled with -- ack I don't want to know -- that you'd use to make sure that ice cubes weren't diluting your iced coffee.  (I actually graduated to freezing coffee into cube shapes.)

Lord knows why I've felt compelled to clean, and clean around, these for so many years.   Even if they were ever useful (and I'm sure my mom asked me if I wanted them, and I said, "Sure!") they were invented and manufactured long before most of us were concerned about the effects of plastic on our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment