Monday, January 11, 2010

Community Disorganization


Community Disorganization
Originally uploaded by 365 Things

What: Souvenir button from a fund raising event.
Origin: "Interesting" learning experience in community participation.
How long kept/last used: A neighbor probably convinced me to wear it at the fund raiser, which would have been in 2003, maybe 2004. (And I'm not much of a button person.)
Why kept: Definitely OOSOOM -- it was uncovered in a box of electronica (stay tuned) I found on a top shelf in the closet, Storage Boxes Are Evil.
Destination: Landfill.

Confession:   I unearthed this last week -- why didn't it go right into the trash?  Aaaargh!

Confession (cont.): The desire to be helpful in my community is probably something else I should "release" my grip on in this decade. A couple of volunteer efforts I engage in are enjoyable and useful. Others, not so much.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know the NYPD colors had changed from blue & white to mauve & white...is that in effort to be more sympathetic to the changing demographics of NYC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I really did trash this a couple of days ago, I can't confirm...but what kind of looks mauve here I think was a faded blue, the kind of fading that shows multiple colors bleeding through when a printer is running out of colored ink?

    This button is the sort of thing that some participants in community organizations think they need to spend money on: a neighbor bought some kind of kit to make them, and to hear him speak they weren't cheap.

    This guy turned out to be a bit whacked. I participated in a recent primary campaign -- one of my neighbors was running for City Council. The Button Maker didn't like my candidate, and created all kinds of drama: including getting in my face and yelling at me one day when we were campaigning at a local Greenmarket. Though we got some looks from bystanders, my response was pretty equanamous, and he started to move along. A second later, my friend (the candidate) showed up at my side to ask if I was okay -- from a block or so away, he had seen Button Man looming over me and thought I was being threatened.

    Ugh, another reason to have let that stupid button go the first time I touched it, this year, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh heh! We are cracking me up.

    ReplyDelete