Friday, January 15, 2010

I've Bean Meaning To...


I've Bean Meaning To...
Originally uploaded by 365 Things

What: About 1 pint of dried organic black beans.
Origin: Vegan culinary ambition.
Usage: Uh, did I make some kind of vegetarian chili in the 00s?
How Long Kept: Cannot be determined -- they post-date the invention of the plastic takeout container, and pre-date my habit of putting a date label on all food in the cabinets.
Why Kept: Out of Sight, Out of Mind; and I might cook them (and thus they Might Be Useful).
Destination: They're soaking right now (and not in Palmolive)...they'll be traveling my alimentary canal starting tonight.

Confession: I contemplated composting them. And this may indeed be the destination for some red dal of a more recent "vintage", which,  when cooked, proved to be as tasteless as it was unappealing to the eye.
Bonus: High in fiber! Low in saturated fat! Earthy! Vegan! and I can get rid of another plastic container -- I'm converting to glass food storage where possible.

2 comments:

  1. Just a spoonful of cumin makes the medicine go down...or dal, or black beans! (& tumeric, a touch of cinnamon, lots of sauteed garlic...viola! Or Ole! You'll be off to buy more black beans in bulk, and this time date them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some of them into a rice dish last night (from the Mark Bittman Vegetarian cookbook). Tasty, but slightly reminiscent of Rice-a-Roni (which I remember begging for as a kid, victim of marketing...my mom didn't make a lot of boxed stuff).

    And now I have your good ideas for what to do with the rest of them. Off to recycle electronics...

    ReplyDelete