Sunday, January 3, 2010

Trifecta -- Hopefully The 3rd Time's a Charm

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, when I wanted to get rid of clothing, I used to mail boxes of stuff from NY to my sister in Chicagoland.

Why? It Might Be Useful, and if Useful, shouldn't a family member get the benefits of Usefulness? (Our grandmother used to do the same thing with our mother.)

Here's an example.

What: A Gap denim jacket, never worn.
Origin: Outlet mall in Massachusetts, back in the days when outlet malls actually had good stuff at them.
How Long Kept: Hazy. I think I bought this in the late 80s. If I recall correctly, it was $15, and it was too big for me (but that was an 80s thing, wasn't it -- or was it just me?) and still is. At some point, it headed unworn (but probably washed) to "M" in Chicago. She kept it because it was Perfectly Good.

At some point in the late 00s, she decided to get rid of it. We actually discussed whether I wanted it, and I couldn't remember what it was. For some reason, we agreed that she'd leave it at my parents' house for me to inspect. On some recent visit to Chicagoland, I did indeed inspect it. I then hung it up in a closet there, I'm not sure why.

Found it again over the holidays.

Why Kept: Aaargh. It's Perfectly Good. Someone Might Need It. (And, It's Complicated.) Aaargh.

Destination: Vietnam Veteran's pickup (Chicagoland).

Given away 3 times, hopefully it won't come back again! And hopefully, It Will Be Useful. For someone!
"M" says: I wore this for about two years. I loved it :-) Someone else will now love it! Thanks for sharing it with me "A". (and never ever mail me socks again. please. LOL)

I had no idea you ever wore this, Princess.   I feel a frisson of vindication, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment